Klopp Fairwell and season review

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:45 am

What a journey it has been with Klopp. Since he arrived there was a buzz around the fan base. I had a good feeling then that Klopp will get us back to the big time.

Landing the big one, UCL glory and creating a side that became feared globally. Becoming soo close to immortality in 2022.

Creating a devasting attack force in Mane,Salah, Firmino that even gave Pep nightmares.

I will miss him and hope he'll enjoy his break away from footy.

As many will reiterate, Klopp could've won a lot more, we should've atleast had another UCL, the 2022 final was there for the taking. Klopp is a club legend and will be missed, it will be difficult to fill his boots.

As for this season, from promising to demoralising. From looking like a team that has gradually gelled to looking disjointed.

Aiming for 4 trophies but only left with cardboa. Many say at the start of the season we would take what we have now. However, expectations change when you have a great opportunity to achieve a higher goal.

We've had issues with new midfield, injuries, players out of sync. For me, main issue has been finishing. The amount of possession and chances created has been crazy but nothing to show for when required. That has been our downfall this season. A clinical forward uptop could've been the difference to glory and we potentially be 5 points clear at top.
Conceeding first didn't help at all, sure we conceeding first in like 20 odd games or so. To begin with it the comebacks showed great resilience and character. But eventually it was going to bite us.

Downfall began when we lost the FA cup tie against United, some could even say United derailed our season.....

Anyhow, back to UCL next season and hopefully a positive first season for Slot, alot of work to be done.

YNWA
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:08 am

How to sum up Klopp? 'You bring the noise'.

Klopp brought us football like we hadn't seen for 30 years.
Attacking wing backs, Mo, Mane and Bobby up front, Hendo, Fab and Gini and VVD and Ali majestic at the back.Team spirit, lads playing out of their socks for eachother and passionate to win the trophies the fans dreamed of.
And a manager bigger than them all, who ran the club, kept ego's in check and became the players father.

But all things come to an end, the team passed it's peak, we held on to players longer than we should, we brought in some unsuited players because they were either cheaper or because Jurgen wanted them. We lost the buzz and the older players were worn out. Jurgen didn't have the tools nor the energy to create another miracle. 

The unprecedented summer clear out should have doomed us to 10th place this season.

Player  New Club Fee
Fabinho Al-Ittihad £40.2m
Jordan Henderson Al-Ettifaq £12.0m
Roberto Firmino Al-Ahli Free transfer
Naby Keita Werder Bremen Free transfer
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain  Released End of contract
James Milner Brighton Free transfer

The Reds moved swiftly, spending £95 million on Mac Allister and Szoboszlai from Brighton and RB Leipzig. After failing to land Caicedo and Lavia, Liverpool brought 30-year-old Wataru Endo from Stuttgart, and Gravenberch ona deadline day from Bayern Munich for£34 million.

Miraculously the new lads hit the ground running and we were rarely out of the top 4. Long term injuries added to the lack of depth in the squad and fatigue:  Thiago, Matip, Robbo, Trent, Jota and Ali.

Klopp had no choice but to play a small core squad and whilst the manager, club and fans hoped that the adrenaline caused by the news Klopp would leave us at the end of the season would keep us in contention for 4 trophies, it simply wasn't to be, the team burnt out and fizzled.

You can point to a few reasons, all of which are no doubt true. But that's football.
Jealous fans now laugh at Jurgen but EVERY football club and fan would have died for the chance for Klopp to manage their own side.
Even United fans frequently lamented how good Klopp was and how poor their many managers have been in comparison. 

I love Klopp. He recreated the Paisley era of confidence and expectation. I flew from Singapore to Madrid for the CL final, then straight back. I'd do it again. In fact I'd walk.

To put the enormity of the job into perspective, in the 9 years Klopp has been at LFC,  Villa have had 8 managers, Spurs 8, Newcastle 8, Man United 6, Arsenal 4, Man City 2. Chaos, utter chaos. We missed all that upheaval. We were happy.

God bless you Jurgen, you join the greats. Shanks, Bob, Fagan, Kenny, Rafa and Jurgen.

The King is dead, long live the King.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion